I’ve been working on cutting out the pre-scored skins I purchased from Greg for $60, he had previously ordered these and won’t be using them. Cleaned up a lot of the openings with the file so they were square, if the mis-cut was too much its now battle damage.
Spent last night taping the skins into place, but it was too late and I was too tired to actually glue them. Woke up early and just had to glue them in place. I bought the skins from Greg who had bought them from Izzy who bought them from a run on Astromech.
The glue applicator from ePlastics seemed fine for gluing the 2mm and 3mm sheets, but it put out a lot of solvent which made the 1mm warp. I went to my local hobby shop and picked up a small needle applicator to use on the skins, dome and various parts that are wrapped with 1mm. The needle applicator was $6.
This is just the inner skin, I have a lot more work do to on the outer skin before its ready to be glued into place. I mistakenly cut out the center vent piece, the entire rectangle on the inner skin, oh well again thankfully styrene is more forgiving than aluminum.
My first pass at gluing the skins, I was very judicious in the use of the glue not wanting to warp the skin. However, as I usually do I couldn’t leave well enough alone and thought that most of the inner skin would be covered by the outer skin. So I applied more glue along the frame members as I know the skin is part of the structure of the body. Problem is that the four back panels are only the inner skin, and I could warping along several of the members. Oh well, a little sanding, weathering and heck that side faces down most of the time – you’ll never notice.
Tip: Be careful on the back inner skin as most of this is exposed, unlike the front. If I was to do it over, I’d add another inner skin so those areas are just as thick as the rest of the skin and you’d be able to cover up any warping easier. Or just use less glue, but you really want this to be strong.
Not sure if it was my cutting, gluing or if the pieces were just off, but I had a few pieces of the frame protrude into openings. The one below is on the center vent, but had similar issues on both side vents. Again, styrene is very forgiving so I’ll be able to fix these fairly easily.
All taped up
Inside view of my mistake
Rear inner skin
A new tradition?
I work in the construction industry, and part of our tradition when we build a new building is to place inside a wall cavity something with the year the building was built. Usually its a dollar bill or a quarter.
With this in mind, when attaching the skins I realized there was going to be a small area that would be completely sealed by the skins. I put a shiny 2013 penny into this area right below the side vents before gluing it in. Now when you move my R2 if you listen closely you can hear the penny move back and forth. You’d never notice it if I didn’t point it out, but I felt it was important as someone in the future may dismantle him – and there will be a piece of history from when he was built.
Laser cut skins: $60
Needle applicator: $6